At all our dormitories it is frequently necessary to collect defect and abandoned bicyles that have been left somewhere on the dormitory grounds, bicycle sheds, etc. The collection of these bicycles may be initiated by either the Dormitory Board or the janitors. The purpose is to remove all defect bicycles or bicycles left behind by tenants who have moved elsewhere.
The procedure for collecting defect and abandoned bicycles:
- The tenants must be warned that a bicycle collection is going to take place prior to the collection of bicycles. A warning notice should announce a date where the bicycles are attached with a notice or a plaststrip and when the bicycles are removed from the dormitory. The warning notice should be given 14 days prior to the attachment of a notice or plastic strip to the bicycles. The warning notice may be given either by e-mail or by a letter in the mailbox, possibly in combination with a letter of notice on the notice boards in the dormitory.
- On the announced date all bicycles will be attached with a notice or a plastic strip. Those tenants who are using their bicycles, must remove the notices or the plastic strips before the day when the collection takes place.
- 14 days later all bicycles where the notices or strips are still attached will be collected and put in store.
- At the earliest 4 weeks later the bicycles will be collected by the police (Lost and Found). They keep the bicycles in store for a minimum period of 1 month.
- If your biclycle has been lost in connection with a bicycle collection, you should contact the janitors, as they keep the bicycles in store for 4 weeks before handing them over to the police.
Bicycle collections should not take place from July 1 to September 1 as many tenants may be on vacation. If you are away from the dormitory for more than 4 weeks at any other time except during the summer holidays, you should not leave your bicycle on the dormitory’s grounds or bicycle sheds, unless you have arranged with another tenant to take care of your bicycle while you are away.
If you have been permitted to sublet your flat, you are not permitted to leave your bicycle on the dormitory grounds or bicycle sheds.
Bicycles or other items left in the hallways or stairways which are considered an evacuation route , will be removed without warning. If you have not contacted the janitors within 4 weeks after your belongings have been removed, they may have been turned over to the police (Lost and found). If you want the janitors to hand back your belongings, you will be charged a minimum fee equal to the expense of 1 hour’s work on the following month’s rent.
Please be adviced that it is not possible to keep the dormitory responsible for the loss of your bicycle if it has been lost during a bicycle collection, where the above mentioned procedure has been used. The same is the case if you have lost items removed from the hallways or stairways that are evacuation routes.